Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Revealing My Ultimate Nerdiness


I heart teaching, discussing, using, and contemplating the rhetorical triangle. It's true.

In fact, I was quoted as saying to my students, "Who needs a heart, when you can have a triangle?" And it gets quoted back to me on a regular basis.


My AP Language classes give me the opportunity to talk rhetorical triangles often. I love how it livens up the room and to see lights go on in my students' minds as they are learning and using it—many of them for the first time.

It makes me sparkle. It makes me happy.

3 comments:

Lott said...

I've never heard of the rhetorical triangle. Is that bad? Am I the only wannabe teacher who has never heard of it?

Anonymous said...

and, on top of all that, it's oh so memorable, oh so approachable. Who could be truly baffled by a triangle... when the heart poses so many miseries ;)

Emily N. said...

no--it's something that goes around in rhetoric circles mainly, but it really is a powerful tool that isn't very hard to understand. I like how it makes understanding communication situations more manageable and more meaningful.