Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cupcake Chaos (and Joy)


Last night I headed over to my friend Trisha's house with 10 of my Mia Maid girls from church for a little Top Chef Tourney. We also let the boys of the same age group in on the fun just to make it a little more interesting. They got down and dirty with a bunch of ingredients to make chocolate cupcakes—but no recipe!

At first they were a bit shocked and hesitant, but then they dug in and went at it. They had 30 minutes to perfect their recipe and then, in the oven they went.

It was a bit messy, a bit chaotic, and a whole lot of fun. I couldn't help but smile as I watched them try to make decisions and laugh with one another. It is good bonding, which was the main point. Plus, they got to display out some of the their cooking skills.

In the end, these two girls to the right were a big part of the winning group. Laynie, Nicole and their group member Kenny managed to make something remarkably like a cupcake. I thought they were amazing. Their cupcakes even rose correctly. Two other groups' completely fell in the oven, while the fourth group's was pretty moundy.

Way to go, Harris 1st ward Teachers and Mia Maids! You are all Top Chefs in my heart because you all made something edible—and you all make me happy. :)

2 comments:

Lott said...

Awesome activity! Don't you just love working with young women?

Garrett Gang said...

What a fun idea! I will be suggesting that to Caitlin!