Monday, June 16, 2008

Santa Fe Favorites #1

I've decided to do a periodic feature of some of my favorites "spots" in the Santa Fe area, so you can get a flavor of the place. And should you ever get here yourself, they would be places I highly recommend. :) They aren't in any particular order—just as I think of them or (re)experience them...



This could easily become my ode to The Santa Fe Baking Company and Cafe. They have the most delectable and delicious things there, all served with a wonderful New Mexican flair. Lots of green chiles to go around. As you walk up to order, you walk by this glass case filled with horribly tempting danishes, cookies, pastries, etc. But they also have a full menu of breakfast items including everything from breakfast burritos, to blue corn pancakes, to waffles, to huevos rancheros and then some. They have a lunch and dinner menu, too, of sandwiches and the like, but they are most busy and most famous for breakfast.

I had the blue corn pancakes the other day with some blueberries on top. Yummeeeeee! The blue corn was a bit heavier and courser than regular pancakes, but so good and definitely different. I feel like I owe it to my experience to take some adventurous leaps from my normal fare. I think I will go for the huevos rancheros the next time, although the breakfast burrito sitting next to me the other day also looked delicious. I should have taken pictures, so the next time I go, I will and add some photos just so you can see the fantastic food for yourself.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I've been to Santa Fe a couple of times, but we've only ever visited the tourist traps :) It's nice to have an insider's view. If we ever make it back to New Mexico, we'll have to check out your recommendations!

I hope you're having a good time, and not getting too lonely. I love reading all your updates. Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you remember that Santa Fe baking company is one of my fav places there... yum. There are no heurvos rancheros anywhere as good as they are there.

And, one can certainly have a cozy, private visit there too. Perhaps it should be on the list of places to take Enoch!

Wish I could zip down ;)

ejnorton said...

Enoch and I will definitely visit. hee hee Wish you could zip down too....