I know this is seemingly the completely wrong time of year for me to be writing or thinking about this topic, but frankly, it's completely timely for us. I had this tremendous feeling of foreboding on Sunday afternoon as I contemplated Enoch starting his Masters program yesterday. it came abundantly clear that our blissful chapter of our first half year together was coming to a close. Life would change in some fairly dramatic ways.
Enoch will have class Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-10 from now until mid-May of 09, which makes for very long days for him on those days and a little less conversation between us. He came home tired last night yet his mind raced, and I know he didn't sleep well--not that he felt overwhelmed or doubtful of choice to pursue his degree--but that things were changing and that there was more to think about. Tonight he'll have some reading and planning to do for a paper due next week. And this will be life for the next year.
Of course, I am doing my own prep for school. I leave in a week for Santa Fe. I love that place. There is something magical and beautiful about it, but I will miss some pretty significant pieces of my life here. Enoch does plan to come visit over the 4th of July weekend, so it won't be six weeks apart like last year. That is good. And he will be busier this year which will help him not miss me so much.
I'm taking a class in Shakespeare and a class in the Bible as Literature. It should be an interesting mix, and people tend to speak highly of the two professors, so I am hopeful that this will be an enriching and enjoyable final summer. Even better, I can keep my sights on graduation at the end! :)
So while the kids of America are lounging and taking a break, others remain committed to education, and that includes the Nortons!
2 comments:
I feel very proud to be part of this group. I just finished my first paper of the summer and imagine I only have 20 to 30 more to go! Good Times!
Hello Emily I don't know if you remember me, my name is Niki (Thares) Wells I was on the yearbook the first year you were the teacher. I see you are married now that is wonderful, I am also married and have two kids and live in PA. you can see my kids at my blog thewellsfamily22.blogspot.com. I just want to say that you were a wonderful teacher and made yearbook that much better
Post a Comment