Santa Fe is rich with history and culture. Did you know it is actually the oldest capital in the United States? That history dates back first to the native American peoples of this area and then reaches into the Spanish era of conquistadors, missionaries and settlers.
One of the not so bright spots of Santa Fe's history is memorialized by this interesting cross and a series of plaques leading up to the cross at the top of the hill. During the 1680 Pueblo Revolt, on August 10, 21 Franciscan Friars died in the fight between the natives and the Spanish. The plaques that lead up the hill tell other pieces of Santa Fe's history. I am such a nerd that I took the time to read every one of them because I am fascinated by such things and this morning was my first ever visit.
As an odd and sad bit of trivia that coincides with this memorial. on the very same day in 1982, the head rector at the big Cathedral here was called out to administer the last rites to a dying man. It turns out, it was a group of kidnappers who then murdered him. To this day, no one really knows the motive for the crime, but people definitely noted the eerie connection.
It was a beautiful sight at sunrise and fascinating to see history presented in such a way.
As an added bonus for you today, I am including a shot of last night's super sweet sunset. Our best one yet. Enjoy!
1 comment:
I love how prolific you've been lately, Lady! Have fun in NM.
Post a Comment