My group performed a scene from Shakespeare's King Lear yesterday in class. It was Tara, Erin, Nicole and me playing out the spurning of the youngest sister named Cordelia. I got to be one of the evil older sisters (Regan) glad to be rid of her. ;)
We did a pretty good job—had all our lines memorized and everything. One of the best parts? We made crowns for ourselves. I was in dire need of something creative that didn't involve anything near to writing an analytical papers. A pair of scissors, markers, glue, and some fuzzy pom pom balls can be great therapy and escape. I wish there were more kindergarten elements to Bread Loaf sometimes. Thanks to Bruce Smith, our instructor, for giving us the opportunity for a more creative outlet. Good times!
(By the way, I do have a closet performer in me that loves to escape from time to time. Shakespeare isn't the easiest thing, but it can be really fun. Doing it in performance also makes meanings of the text stand out far more. I need to find ways to have my students do a little more of that--if and when I ever teach Shakespeare again.)
2 comments:
tee hee... and I cried over the Shakespeare I had to perform! This is because you are a braver soul than I.
How did the concert choir do for Jim's visit? I keep forgetting to ask.
I'm so impressed with how you are able to involve yourself where ever you go. I would LOVE to hear your group sing. Maybe you could tour? Just wondering.
Post a Comment