Friday, July 20, 2007

Things I miss...

Now that I am in the final stretch of my North Carolina time, I'm really beginning to notice the things I've been without for these many weeks. Note: I do NOT miss the blazing July heat in AZ. But I'm looking forward to having the things I do miss and many of you back as a normal part of my life in the not too distant future. So here is a list (not comprehensive of course!).

10. Walk the Line and other movies. I wish that I would have thought to bring along a few of my DVDs as a break from the norm--not that I have a lot of time for such things. But it would be nice to have some mindless entertainment. I think specifically of Walk the Line because of all the Carter Family connections to this area as well as the mountain music that we hear all the time. Gotta love Johnny and June!

9. My Girlfriend's Kitchen. I miss getting together with my girlfriends to gab and put together some meals every so often. Frankly, I just miss gabbing with my friends in general!

8. The temple. I'll be glad to get back and be able to go to the temple again. The closest one to here is in Raleigh which is several hours away. Even if I had a car, I don't think I would really have time to make the trip. I love having the Mesa temple a mere 15 minutes away.

7. Red rocks. As much as I love the beauty of the mountains and the wetness and green, I love the colors of the desert--even in the summer. I'm a desert girl with a fondness for mountains. I especially miss the spectacular sunsets. If any of you have a good sunset picture and would like to send it along to remind me, I would be happy to receive it.

6. My car and driving. While I don't miss traffic per se, I do miss being able to jump in the car and go wherever whenever. I have had many nice friends and people here who have helped me out with getting off campus, so being without a car has been fine, but there are times. For my final summer of study next year, I plan on Santa Fe, NM, so my car can easily come with me and be my friend. :)

5. Monsoons. Enoch wrote me this morning to tell me about the great monsoon they had last night in Mesa. I miss the thunder, the lightning, the great amounts of rain that transform the desert. I love how it smells and cools everything down.

4. Chips and salsa and good Mexican food in general. I love Mexican, and while there are Mexican places around here, none of them could be as good as ones in AZ—even places like Filiberto's. Why can't I just get a big old plate of nachos from there? Or Chipotle...yummmmm....I better get off this topic FAST!

3. My bed. Actually the mattresses here aren't too bad, but nothing beats my queen size pillowtop. Actually, I miss getting a really long, good night of sleep period. Life is too crazy here for that.

2. My friends and family. As an example, I talked to my sister Jill this morning, and I heard my niece Elaine yell hi in the background. She was not doing that when I left. I think she has many more words in the last five weeks. I miss all of my friends and family and will be so glad to reconnect and give big hugs when I return!

1. Enoch. If you don't know who he is, you'll have to email me to find out why he's on my list. Absence certainly does make the heart grow fonder in this case. ;)

No comments: