Sunday, July 22, 2007

Potter mania!

Since this could very well be the biggest publishing event of my entire lifetime, I couldn't help by get in on the action. I am a Harry Potter fan, but not of the craziest kind. I do enjoy a good costume party as well, and have been known to try my hand at a variety of get-ups, but on Friday night, I let that fun be for others, while I had fun of a different sort. I got to be the photographer this time around and marvel at the crazy fun of others. I'm including some of the best costumes of the evening in this blog. Don't ask me to remember who they represent. Some I can remember, others I can't.


I started out the evening with my friends at Barnes and Noble. They had lots going on from face painting, to a live action Harry Potter play, to a chess game. The costumes were not nearly as fantastic here. But then again, here's another thing I have to consider. In Asheville, I couldn't always be sure who was wearing a costume and who wasn't. People in Asheville tend to dress weird on any day of the week. I think all my pics are of costumed ones, though. ;)


We ended the night at Malaprops, a popular local independent store. They started their festivities at 11:00 with a costume contest and they had cookies and punch. The cookies came in broom and lightning bolt shapes. They finally unveiled the books a couple of minutes before midnight and then counted down to the actual time. It was a madhouse. My friend who was picking up his book there, took over half an hour to get to the front of the line to get his book.


I didn't actually buy a book yet. I figure it will be several months until I have time to read it, so there is no rush. I am still so inundated with reading, that it's hard for me to pick up anything extra at this point. Like I said, I am not the most die-hard of a fan.

But if you got your copy, I hope you're enjoying it. :) And please...don't spoil the end for those of us who have yet to read!

No comments: