Monday, January 31, 2011
Yes I Can!
The story of this post actually begins over a year ago. When I was at a Relief Society meeting with some ladies from my ward way back then, we did a little service exchange where we could offer services and accept services of others. I picked up my friend Erin's offer to teach me how to pressure can meat and to use her pressure cooker to do some for myself. I thought, "That's an interesting skill I'd like to try," picked up the card and promptly stored it away waiting for a good time to use it.
My mother never canned meat that I remember, and she never even used a pressure cooker that I know of. So this was very new territory for me. My mom did those boiling water bath canning type ventures where she canned fruits, jams, and salsas. I remember those sessions being long and messy.
When I was able to score a deal a few weeks ago where I could pick up 40 lbs of chicken for $1.49 a pound, I knew now was my chance to cash in on my friend's offer. There was no way I could freeze that much meat in my small freezer, so canning would have to be the way to make it work. I did freeze about 10 lbs. of it, but I still had plenty to can.
My friend Erin was a little bit nervous about how long it would take to do that much meat in her canner that only holds 5 pints, so I also called on my friend Sarah to see if I could borrow her canner that holds 10 pints. I got a lesson from her on her canner, took a class at Shar's Kitchen on basic canning, and then had Erin come over with a quick lesson on her canner, and I was set. After a few hours over a couple of days, I had 28 pints of cooked canned chicken. Each and every one of them sealed. :)
I had so much fun and was so excited about my new skill, that I decided to can some pinto beans in the jars I had left. Shar's was great for giving me recipes and instructions on the basic techniques of canning proteins so I felt confident. I did 8 pints of beans on Saturday and will probably do at least 15 more before I return the canner to Sarah. Meanwhile, I am filling my cupboards. ;)
I'm nerdy. I like learning new things, and I like doing things that I hope are helping my family.
Any new skills you are all learning out there? ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I'll have to get back to you on the new skills dept but I just had to tell you that is very impressive! Way to go!
Whoa.
The photos make it more real than your description ;)
Learning... hum. I bravely posted my photos from the Joy of Love class tonight. I am not brave enough to pu them far out, but on my blog yes. I am not using all the techniques, saving some, as the world is spinning fast right now. Trying the easy ones.
I also, and you may not believe this, said no to an invite for the weekend. It was the right call right now, but not easy. Maybe I am finally learning to do it? Miss you!
I'm so glad that the canning worked out for you!!! You rock! We'll work on the steam canning next!
love ya, girl!
Sare
Post a Comment