Saturday, July 17, 2010

Playing Around

With it being so hot here, we spend a lot of time inside trying to amuse ourselves. Yesterday, Asher's friend Grant came over to play. Grant is a day younger, so these two will always have that August bond. This is the first time we've had a friend over, and I learned a few things:

1. It's obvious my child is an only child. He would take things from Grant kind of like a bully. I need to work on teaching him to share which means many more play dates in our future...
2. Asher does enjoy other young people around. He would smile and laugh at Grant trying to get him to engage. Grant lives just down the street, and so I hope these two can be good friends as they grow.
3. Asher picked up some good skills by watching Grant. He literally in hours became better at playing with balls and moving his little bus around because he saw the kinds of things Grant was doing. I don't really play like a boy, so he needed some of that influence.
4. Kids of almost the same age can be so alike in skill and so different. It was fun to watch these two.



After Grant's mom came to get him, we went over to a little swim party for Daxton's first birthday. This is another little boy in the neighborhood that will hopefully be A's friend. Perhaps I'm starting to make some neighborhood friends, too? I hope so. This has been a year of trying to find my niche for sure, and my ward and neighborhood have not been easy to crack.

Today we are playing around the house. We went to a garage sale this morning. Didn't find much, but that's okay. And now Asher is back to the toys--once again. ;)

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad you're finding your niche :) It's always hard to get involved in your ward/community when you're busy running around after an almost 1-year-old. Glad to know there are other little boys in the neighborhood for him to play with and moms for you to hang out with.

We need to get together one of these days!

jill said...

Baby steps for mamas too. My opinion is that you make some of your dearest friends when your first baby is small. Your time is much more your own to visit than it will be later ;)

Are you planning a festive birthday for Asher? We'll just be arriving home on J's birthday. Not sure if I'll do something else for him, beyond his first 3000 mile trip.