The same works with students. I have former students I am friends with on Facebook, who send me kind words, and who remind of why I do love teaching so much. I have dreams of returning to the classroom someday. For right now I love where I am, but there are moments I miss the interactions with lovely young people. :)
Sometimes we are lucky enough to make contact again later in life. Earlier in the summer, Joey contacted me on Facebook saying he was going to be spending a couple of months this summer in the Phoenix area while working for a missionary organization and he hoped we could get together.
We finally made it work on Tuesday night at Oregano's in Tempe. While the food was delicious, it was even better to see Joey again and hear about all of the wonderful things he is doing with his life.
Joey was in the last set of yearbook students I had at CMR back in 2006. I also had him in junior English. He was one of the hardest working, kindest people you could meet. From CMR he went on to Asbury University where he double majored in journalism and missions. (I have to admit it always does my heart good when I find a student has pursued journalism or English. hee hee) He graduated this last spring and is slated to spend a year teaching English in Bangkok Thailand. What wonderful adventures he will have!
Joey is as ever Joey--wonderful, loving, kind, gracious, hard working, and I am blessed to know him. Thanks for getting a hold of me. I love a good visit and time for reconnection. The same goes for any of my distant readers out there. When you come to town, look me up! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment