After so many days of over 100 degree weather, we needed to head out of town desperately, and that opportunity came when a friend of ours invited us to join her family and a couple of others on an overnight camping trip at a campground outside of Payson. We haven't camped as a couple or as a family before, but since I am okay with camping and Enoch really likes it, we decided to give it a try. We figured that an overnighter would give us a good dry run at camping with a little one.
We headed up to the Ponderosa Campground outside of Payson on Friday afternoon, and got there in time to set up camp and eat dinner. The skies were dark, and our friend had warned us to expect rain. We avoided rain most of the evening, but it started to come down around bedtime. We had hot dogs, carrots and chips for dinner and great company around the campfire. Enoch and I also banded together to make a dutch oven cobbler. I made it--he cooked it. It was delicious! We of course shared with the crowd. :)
We headed to bed as the rain came down. Asher had done pretty well with everything, but I was getting a little tired of the constant holding. We brought up the pack and play to set him in to give us reprieve, but with rain threatening and dark setting in, he wasn't too happy there. So I got to hold him a lot. Luckily, he didn't care too much about being held. The kid doesn't especially like the texture of dirt and grass. Yippee!
The night was interesting. Because the pack and play wouldn't fit in the tent, we had to keep Asher next to us. It has always been very apparent to me that Asher is a mover in his sleep. He ends up every which way in his crib all the time, and the tent was no different. He actually slept pretty decently; we did not. (Enoch already has designs on a bigger family tent which will be purchased before a future trip.)
Asher was up with the sun at bout 5:30. So we played around in the tent and then got ourselves up for breakfast. It was a gorgeous morning with lovely temperatures. We had great conversations and solidified what I hope will be some wonderful friendships.
We were home by about noon, so it was quick. It's debatable whether such a short trip is worth all the work, but it was a good test drive, I think. Any longer, and I may have gotten a little punchy with the lack of sleep.
Hope you all had a great weekend!
2 comments:
Ugh--camping...I'm glad you were able to have a good time even if the night portion didn't go so well :)
I think we are tooooooo young for camping at this juncture. We had two nights in a pop up, which is on the luxury side of camping, I guess.
It wasn't.
There was not good sleeping, and hot at bedtime, freezing later in the night... so much to look at out the sides.
We are all fighting something in part because of that.
Really, I am going to re-emerge, soon. We're leaving GF on Sunday for ND.
Post a Comment