Thursday, May 28, 2009

Change of plans

This was supposed to be the week we moved, but in case you couldn't tell, that didn't happen.

About three weeks ago, we learned of an additional lien on the house we were under contract to buy that the seller assured us he would be able to take care of quickly and easily. Then the next week it became the story of needing to apply for another loan on a small business to take care of the lien, but that loan should be easy to secure--so they said. Finally, a week and a half later, and just about 5 days before we were supposed to close on the house, they were denied the loan, and we were unable to close.

Needless to say, Enoch and I were jaded and a little angry, were hoping we wouldn't be homeless, and were essentially back to square one. We were not very happy, but we did have Enoch's graduation that weekend to temper the disappointment and frustration a bit.

We were relieved to find that our current landlord would let us stay month to month, so we wouldn't be homeless, and we began perusing the MLS listings again. Another big concern of course, is the timing of all of this with the baby. Suddenly three months until his arrival doesn't seem like very long when we are house hunting and trying to figure out when we might move.

The one good thing about the timing is that Enoch is now done with school and I am out for summer, so we have less stress in our lives and more time to devote to our decision.

But that decision ended up not taking very long.

After gathering up a few listings that appeared to have potential, I set out with our realtor yesterday. We looked at five more properties, and actually came across one that matched our needs and desires quite well. And it was priced decently--so much so that we knew there were a number of lookers and an offer already on the table. So we needed to act if we were going to make our own offer. Enoch went back with us to the house in the evening to check it out so that we could make a decision. And we did. We decided to go for it, and earlier this afternoon we learned that our offer has been accepted. We will move forward and hopefully be moved in at the beginning of July. Of course, I say this rather gingerly after our last experience.

Here is the exterior from the front:


The house is five bedrooms and two baths with a nice-sized backyard, which has grass. Plenty of room for people to stay and visit! ; -) More details to come soon.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Woohoo! I am sure things will work out this time. Most people are not the supreme idiots that the previous sellers are

Cire said...

Hey - that's the house across the street from where we used to live, isn't it!?! Those are great neighbors and you are close to the park if it is! Congrats, it'll all work out for the best!

Jody said...

I hope this one works out! It sounds great! (And love the landscaping!)

Kimberly said...

Congrats, and I hope this one does pan out for you. Just be glad you get out of lifting much during the move. :-)

jess said...

Yay! I told you everything would work out! And we'll get to see it when we're there for the 4th.

Schauers Hours said...

Wow I like those cacti! No surprise here on the closing falling through. With Jared in that business I hear about a lot of frustrations. Hope it will follow through this time.