Sunday, May 31, 2009

52 Saturdays #21: Here's to wonderful friends


My work friends got together to throw me a baby shower, and I certainly felt showered with love and affection. And perhaps for the first time, it REALLY hit me that I will be having a baby boy in the next few months. They gave me cute and helpful stuff to help me get started. I really was touched and even got a bit teary.

Thanks to my friends Trish and Katie for putting together such a fun event. Trish had delicious food complete with key lime cupcakes from Sprinkles. And Katie put together several games that were fun. As one of her activities she also had the guests write down a piece of advice for Enoch and me. The one that really struck me: "remember to be forgiving of yourselves; you're going to make mistakes because everyone does--it's only natural. So be forgiving and patient with yourselves--and each other." Thanks, Jessica, for those very wise words that I hope I can remember always.

You guys can play along too, and be part of the action. Any advice to share?

6 comments:

Amber M. said...

Help the baby sleep in his own bed from day one. Even if it's in your room. It will be SO WORTH IT DOWN THE ROAD!

Good luck to you guys...there is so much fun in store!

Grandma Sandy said...

EMILY, YOU LOOK ADORABLE. CONGRATULATIONS! You are just a little behind Amy (Aaron's wife). We are praying she will be able to deliver a healthy baby girl. A little "baron" for you. Can't wait to see the name. Be prepared for sleep deprivation & be aware little guys sometimes want to eat every 2 hours.

amaree said...

I second what Amber said... SO important for YOU and Enoch!!! And it makes life so much easier... I was a little more flexible with Charlie- he moved out of our room (never in our bed! DON"T DO IT!) at 3 weeks. And we slept better after that.

When baby gets older, especially if there are siblings following close by, remember to just laugh about things that they do that at the moment might be horrible. It's so worth it to no get mad about things. It'll be funny later, so why no now?

Good luck! btw- baby #3 (providing I don't miscarry again) will be here january-ish!

amaree said...

oh-- and as soon as you're comfortable (I always started about 6-8 weeks) let the baby cry it out to go to sleep. A tough couple of nights is SO worth it!

Arlene said...

I am so sad that I missed your show, but I promise to bring you back something cute from PA.

K-Krew said...

Hope you got the pkg okay. I had to unwrap it so it would fit and I forgot the card - sorry. I guess that's what happens when all 3 kids go to the post office with you AND there's a very long, very slow-moving line.

As for tips -
Cherish each moment and milestone while it's happening. I think I tried to rush on to the next thing too much with our first.

Sleep is precious and important so accept all offers of help. Being better rested will help you face the ongoing tasks of motherhood.

And lastly, every baby is different so go with your own instincts.
You are going to do great :)