Monday, March 9, 2009

First things first

I have never been very good at keeping secrets, and some of you may be able to attest to that fact. I am a horrible liar and usually my face will give things away long before my mouth does. In light of these facts about myself, I've had to be very careful in my blogging of late. If I said too much, wrote too much or too often, I would give it away, and the secret would be out too soon.

But not anymore. Enoch and I will be having our first baby in August!

That's right. I am now 16 weeks along, and everything seems to be progressing normally. So let me introduce you. Here is our 9 week old, in an ultrasound from our January appointment. He/she is only the size of a grape in this pic, but isn't it amazing how you can pick out the head, body, and even the little arms? Now he/she is more the size of an avocado, so we have made some steady progress. The doctor assured us at that appointment that there is only one, and I was most relieved. We have some good friends who recently had twins, and their life is absolutely crazy with feedings and little sleep. I don't know that I am ready for that.

In the last few weeks, I have made a few little first purchases, and I thought I would mark them on the blog. For the baby, I picked up a cute little onesie at the Scottish Highland Games. It was totally a splurge and far more than anyone should ever pay for a onesie--but hey, it was a momentous purchase, and not something I could pick up just anywhere. I stopped short of buying a kilt and other accessories to go along with it, and suddenly I began to wonder about the little girl kilts we all were given when my grandfather visited from Scotland back in 1982. Oh well, the onesie will have to do.

Then a first for myself--not quite so exciting, but something to remember. I bought my first piece of maternity clothing.

I had a friend give me a piece of advice to watch sale racks for maternity clothes, and if there was something cute, to buy it. I found this at Target. Not really the cutest thing, but less than $5, and it will work for spring. Everything on sale here has been the winter variety, and I will be most pregnant during the hot, hot summer, so winter maternity is not something I am in the market for. I am still able to fit into my regular clothes and pants for the most part, but I expect that will be changing soon.

So there you have it. We are excited and looking forward to this change in our lives. Tomorrow I will be back to answer a series of FAQs. I find I get asked about the same five or so things when in conversation with people. So ask away, and I will seek to answer!

Oh...and perhaps you will find me blogging a little more often now. I tell you, I am awful at keeping secrets, and silence seems to be my only remedy. ;)

16 comments:

Susan said...

I've been wondering how long we were going to have to wait for a post like this :) I'm so, so happy for you guys. Congratulations!

P.S. I'll try to forgive you for not telling me last time I saw you.

amaree said...

With a status as vague as it was on FB, I KNEW it! MAN, I wish I could have told you congrats face to face last week! Oh well. CONGRATS!!! That's SO exciting! And in less than a month, you'll get to find out (if you chose to) what baby is.

Such exciting news!

adorable pearsons said...

wooo hooo! congrats! you are going to be the cutest mom ever!

Kimberly said...

FYI my favorite place to buy inexpensive maternity clothes was Ross. And they were cute too...at least as cute as maternity clothes can get.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Em (and Enoch!) Glad to have this exciting news and first photos... first of many I look forward to seeing of this sweet little one ;)

Lott said...

Emily!!! I'm so excited for you. Congratulations. You are going to make a wonderful mom. I can't wait to see photos all along the way...make sure to take them!

twede said...

Congrats! We are very happy for you two! Good luck surviving a summer pregnancy in Mesa. If you ever need to cool down, your always welcome to visit us in Snowflake:)

Becky said...

UM, I'm in shock!! TOTAL shock. I JUST saw you yesterday and 'pregnant' never crossed my mind!! Let ALONE 16 weeks pregnant. WHAT? How do you hide that. I'm visably prego at 8 weeks. In fact, I sometimes have people ask me when I'm not!! And you say you can't keep a secret? I beg to differ. Well...that was my shock of the day!! I was going to laydown, maybe nap...I don't think I can now. I'm thrilled for you guys!! Congrats to you and Enoch!

And great job on your message yesterday, loved it!!

Amber M. said...

FABULOUS news. Many congratulations to you both.

Anonymous said...

Congrats you two. That is awesome news! Does this mean we will have another NCAA tournament picker soon???? Maybe we will have to get another T-shirt!

Jody said...

Emily!!! Congratulations!!! What happy news! And way to keep it a secret. Hope you are feeling well and enjoying the pregnancy. Will you find out what you're having in the next month or so? I'll be looking forward to more frequent posts from you. :)

Maria Olson said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you. What a great mom you will be.

LStevens said...

Congratulations!! My cute Emily is going to be a mom. I am way excited for you. I do hope to meet your husband sometime before the baby??? lol I would like, but probably won't. How sad!! Hope you are feeling well. Miss you friend!!

K-Krew said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys. Love the cute little onesie. I'm with you all the way on maternity clothes. I borrowed all mine from my sister for this last pregnancy. How are you feeling? I'm excited to hear the new updates.

Schauers Hours said...

Congratulations Emily! I am so happy for you and send prayers your way for your and little baby's health.

Karyn said...

We are so late on this one - we had to wait for our carrier pigeon to make it across the Atlantic - but wow! What great news - congratulations! You will make a lovely mum. x