
Today I set out with a group of about a dozen Breadloafers to see some of this country they call the Blue Ridge. We got on the Blue Ridge Parkway where we saw plenty of spectacular views, plenty of bikers, and plenty of motorcyclists. After about an hour of driving, we reached a lookout where we took the Graveyard Fields Trail to a couple of waterfalls.

Here you can see our hiking crew. We had great fun. Interesting thing about BL friendships. You meet and form pretty close bonds while you go through the summer together, but I find they seldom last because we are so far flung and life gets busy once we return. They make great hiking groups, though!

The upper falls was about a mile and half from the trailhead. There were lots of people out, and the weather was gorgeous. One of the things I don't like about Phoenix is that in the summer, it is way too hot to even think about hiking. I suppose I just need to be grateful that hiking is so accessible in other parts of the year.

The lower falls was down a serious staircase. This is a well-travelled and maintained trail. People also will set up tents out along the trail which I found fascinating. I have always thought that one could only camp in designated spots or get in trouble. People just really want to enjoy the scene because it is quite unbelievable. Should you ever get this direction, plan to take the Parkway. :)
1 comment:
Looks gorgeous. It's so hot here in AZ I can barely drag myself outside to go swimming, let alone hiking!
Post a Comment