Sunday, June 24, 2007

Branching out


I felt like a bit of a pioneer this morning. Because I am here without a car, getting to church was a little bit interesting. My roommate dropped me off at a street corner about a mile away, so I walked the rest. It's a bit humid here today because of rain last night, but the church house was easy enough to find, and I was only mildly sweaty when I arrived.

I am so grateful to be a member of a church that really is essentially the same no matter where I go. I can expect to take the sacrament, sing from the same hymnbook, listen to speakers, and hear prayers. The voices may sound a little different with their southern accents and the diversity amongst the congregation is certainly more than I ever see in Mesa, but the gospel is the same.

I also appreciate coming to these smaller congregations. Both in Middlebury and here, I attended a branch of less than 100 people who meet in a smaller building and don't even have a traditional chapel. Growing up in Montana, I understand the difference of being in a place where church members are smaller in numbers. It makes the congregation feel more like a family.

Then I walked the two miles home in the blazing sun and humidity. But it was worth it. Perhaps next week I can find someone who will take pity on me and let me borrow their car, but over three hours of time is a lot to ask for, so if i have to walk again, I will. :) If walking was good enough for the pioneers, it is good enough for me!

No comments: