Thursday, June 21, 2007

Southern exposure

In my three days here, I have come across some things that are definitely uniquely southern that I wanted to share. I certainly hadn't heard of them before. This is not a comprehensive list by any means. i am sure that I will discover far more.

1. Scrapple--this is not necessarily a southern thing, but still new to me. Apparently in places like Pennsylvania, people like to take the leftover parts of a pig and scrape it all together in a loaf like Spam and then fry it up and eat it. Hmm....sounds appetizing...

2. Cheerwine--this is a soda in the south that I discovered in the cafeteria today. It's like a cherry soda without the cola or lemon-lime flavoring with it. I quite like it and might have to bring some back with me when I come! Cheerwine for everyone!

3. Appalachian flatfooting: this is the southern Appalachia form of clogging. It is a different style because it is less technical and done more with flat feet than the balls of the feet. We had a demonstration and lesson today. It brought such great memories of my tap dancing days. And it was a good workout.I'll try to remember it so that I can demonstrate when I return home. ;)

4. Sweet tea--around here they like their iced tea but already sweetened when it comes out of the container. I, of course, have not tried it, but southerners sure do love it.

5. Bluegrass vs. old timers music--bluegrass is filled with improvisation as well as attention to jazz and other forms. Old timers music is the straight fiddle, banjo kind of stuff without all the bells and whistles. I've heard musicians perform both since I have been here.

I'll add to the list as more things become available. :)

No comments: