Monday, June 25, 2007

Revelation

The day has slipped away from me, and I still have reading to do, so my post today is really more of a thought.

In our lecture this evening on photographing the South, our lecturer mentioned a thought-provoking idea from famed author Eudora Welty (who was also known for her photos):

She always said that when taking photos she was after the moment when people reveal themselves.

When are you most revealing? When do we find those moments of revelation in others?

Another photographic thought:
“The good photograph is not the object, the consequences of the photograph are the objects. So that no one would say, ’how did you do it, where did you find it, ‘ but they would say that such things could be.” – Dorothea Lange

Here is one of Lange's most famous photos from the 30's entitled "Migrant Mother." Very revealing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wilkie =)
Soo... Does this mean you are going to be an insane photographer? Well, this is the first comment I have left on this blogger.com site-o-goodness, and thought Id say "HI!". So, It looks like I got a bit of reading to do to chatch up on your other blogs! yay! TTYL =)

Unknown said...

Looks like you are having a good time and I am way behind. Keep up the good work.