Friday, August 23, 2013

May the road rise up to meet you...

When I sang for three years in Chanteur Choir at CMR, Ms. McIntosh had us sing the Irish Blessing song each spring as a tribute to the graduating seniors. I think it was a marvelous tradition, and she used a lovely arrangement.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sunshine warm upon your face.
May the rains fall soft upon your feet.
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Such lovely sentiments, and they are especially fitting now that she has passed away. Today is her memorial service in Great Falls. I so wish that I could be there to celebrate a wonderful life of teaching and service. She was so much more than a music teacher. She expected much, gave much, and her students really adored her for it. I know I did.I'm sure that the service will be lovely. I hope that someone records it, so that I can see it at a future time.

I wrote about the last time I saw Ms. Mac here. It was a wonderful and warm visit over lunch. She was feeling good at the time and so grateful to still be doing so well. I remember her faith in the plans and timing of God. She was making such an effort to connect and be with those she loved. It was wonderful.

Perhaps my my most vivid memory of her was something wonderful she did for me the summer after my mom's death. It was that same year that she started directing the Symphonic Choir in Great Falls. She reached out to me and asked me to audition. I was somewhat hesitant because my mom was gone, and I didn't know how things would play out with my sisters and their needs. I went to the audition anyway. She didn't even know exactly how the numbers would pan out and if there would even be spots for all those auditioning, but of course she wanted to put together the best choir she could. The thing that so deeply touched me about my audition experience, however, was what she said to me. She said something to the effect, "Emily, I want you to be able to sing. I want you to be able to do something where you don't have to be in charge, where you can come and do something you enjoy that is just for you." I still get teary when I think about it. She knew the weight I carried with my family and job. She knew I needed an outlet, and she wanted to provide me with one.

I made the choir that year (2001) and continued to sing until I left Great Falls in 2006. It was a marvelous experience which included several concerts a year as well as being in a Madrigal Dinner production twice. Another memory I have of Ms. Mac is her always teasing me about the madrigal dinner I didn't get to do while I was in high school. My junior year of Ayres when it typically would have been done, she elected not to do it because she didn't have a strong enough group that year. I was pretty disappointed. We did The Reluctant Dragon instead. It was fine, but no madrigal dinner. ;) Good thing I get another shot at one later. Thanks for that, Ms. Mac!

What an incredible woman and force! The world does seem somehow less to me without her in it. But I am sure that there will be a party today in her honor. She wouldn't want people to be sad or downtrodden. And in my hopeful, faithful self, I love the idea of seeing her again someday after this life. I like to think of her as directing one of those heavenly choirs and that I can audition for that someday. Thoughts like that make me smile.

I pulled a photo from her dear friend and housemate Peggy that I love of the two of them. They were roommates for 30 years. What a wonderful friendship they had!This was probably 3-4 weeks before her death. I think she looks so sweet here. It also reminds me much of how my mom looked in the weeks before her death. At some point, cancer is cancer no matter where it struck first.
And finally, here is a little YouTube video of Ilse and her girls singing to Miss Mac on the same day the above photo was taken. Ilse was one of the best singers Miss Mac ever produced. She sang in choir with my brother Mark, so he knows Ilse pretty well. We can see the legacy Miss Mac leaves. Beautiful!

Thanks for blessing my life so deeply and richly, Miss Mac! You will be missed and remembered always!


No comments: