Monday, July 6, 2009

52 Saturdays #26: Wicked good fun



Saturday was the 4th of July, but it was also a sisters outing that several of us have been looking forward to since January. We have known for quite some time that Wicked would be coming to the Gammage Theater, and this time we were ready to snag some tickets early via an educator discount program I happen to know about. So Megan and Jessica came down for the weekend to join Jill and me at a Saturday matinee. Our cousins Cindy and Lori also got in on the action, and man, was it a good time!

I was so excited before entering the theater that I could hardly contain myself, and then upon sitting I was truly thrilled by the sight of a magical map of Oz gracing the curtains on the stage while a huge dragon/bat thing hung ominously over the top of the stage with brilliantly red lit eyes. I knew I was in for a treat. My favorite part: the absolutely breathtaking crescendo of the song "Defying Gravity" which ends the first act in such a powerful way. Oh, and the performance of "Popular" just because the actress who played Glinda was so perky and had so much fun with it.

I've been singing the songs with the soundtrack for a few years, and frankly, I have always been a Wizard of Oz fan. The play itself was a fun and surprising mix of the two. I expected the play to be all back story on the Wicked Witch of the West, and it was, but it wasn't. I suppose you'll have to see it yourself to find out. I don't want to give any of the experience away.

I highly recommend it. It was one of the best musical performances I have ever experienced, and I have seen more than a few in my life. In fact, it gets such rave reviews from this humble little reviewer that I am tempted to go back before it ends its run here at the end of the month. hmmmmm......

Here's a taste if I haven't whet your appetite enough. :)

5 comments:

Lott said...

That looks like so much fun and even more fun to go with you & your sisters!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a group of beautiful girls. We tried to get tickets to Wicked, but it sold out in about 2 or 3 hours. Nice you had an in for the show. Jealousy!!!
See you Sat. Miss Emily!

Jody said...

Right before Lily was born, Vann surprised me with a trip to NYC and tickets to Wicked. I LOVED it!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well! I always find myself humming the songs.

Amber M. said...

We saw Wicked in May and I loved it so much I'm trying to go again in Seattle in September, this time with Tony. Awesome.

K-Krew said...

It sounds great. Maybe I'll have Thom read this post too. Hint, hint...