Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Author Visit


A few weeks ago, someone from Borders contacted my department head about an author from the area who had a new book coming out. The rep asked if the author could come speak with some students, and I said I would be happy to host her in my AP classes. We talk a lot about effective writing and authorial choices, so why not let an author come to speak, and let them hear straight from a source?

So Lisa McMann came for a visit today. I am so proud of my students for being so interested and for asking such intelligent questions about her process, getting published, and wanting to know of the steps that brought her to having her book out in the public and published by the major publishing house, Simon and Schuster. The book is entitled Wake and is available everywhere. You can visit her blog here if you would like. You can also go lisamcmann.com as well. So many sources of information!

And here's an arty picture of her:


I was inspired to know that even after 68 rejections on query letters for an earlier book she had written, she never gave up. Wake was accepted by the first agent she queried, so she had much better luck the second time around.

And in case you might be into young adult literature and would like to participate, there's a blogfest happening over at pulseblogfest.com involving a hundred young adult authors answering readers questions. I know. I am such a nerd, and such a sucker for these things.

By the way, I haven't gotten a copy of Lisa's book yet, but I hope to soon. I'd even like to get a signed copy. I'm hoping she'll do that for me!

3 comments:

Susan said...

How fun! I've never heard of Lisa McMann, but now I'm going to have to check her out. I happen to love YA literature, so I'll have to check out the site you mentioned, too. I love it when you get book bloggy, Em!

Emily N. said...

I am getting book bloggy of late. And this would probably be your introduction to her because this is her first book. How exciting!

I love your pics of Disneyland over at your blog. It looks like you guys had a fabulous time! Enoch and I are going next month in conjunction with a journalism trip. This will be Enoch's first time--ever!

Lott said...

Do you have links to all the best book blog sites? I want them!