Monday, September 12, 2011

Thinking of fall...

And since we may not crack 100 degrees here this week, I am one happy girl! By mid August I am sick of the AZ heat and dread the fact there really is at least 2 more months of it left before the glorious months of winter come. For all of my friends in the northern tier, think of your weather world backwards. ;)

One of my favorite things of fall is the use of pumpkin. So when my newfound friends, the Crockpot Girls, had this recipe posted on their website, I knew I had to try it. And it is delicious and so so easy. I'll be making it again...and again...and again. :)

Crockpot Pumpkin Bread Pudding

1 loaf brioche, or other firm bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
1/2 cup golden raisins
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk – that’s one and a half cups, not eleven cups :)
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Coat the inside of a “regular” crock pot (4-5 quart) with butter, margarine, or shortening. I use Butter-Flavored Crisco. I suppose PAM cooking spray would work, too. Put the bread cubes and raisins in the cooker. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, canned pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, and spices. Pour over the top of the bread and raisins, gently tossing to combine. Press down on the bread so it soaks up the pumpkin mixture.

Cook on high for 2 to 2 ½ hours. Pudding is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream, regular (unwhipped) cream, or half-and-half. Doubles nicely for a large crock pot (6 quart).

**Some notes from me. I used some leftover dinner rolls from Costco as the bread. I figured they were firm and a little sweet. They worked well. I wasn't about to go looking for brioche and after looking up a recipe to make brioche, I absolutely wasn't going to make some.  No time or energy for that now. I also used regular raisins, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

How are you all celebrating fall? Hopefully you are not having to hunker down for winter already... ;)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Ooh, yum! I'm going to have to try this one. Thanks for sharing :)

jill said...

We supposed to have our first freeze tonight. SIGH. I am trying to use up zucs, so I can graduate to pumpkins ;)