Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Not a single picture

It's been a busy past four days, I am tired and thinking I don't know how my mom did with seven kids. I don't know if I could do it with three.

You see, I spent the last four days watching my sister's girls while she and her husband traveled to Minneapolis on a business trip. So I had three under the age of 5 running around and trying to stay happy. It was crazy times and more than a few moments of feeling like was on the brink of insanity. And I didn't manage to take a single picture. I had intentions, but when it came right down to it, my hands were too often busy doing other things like making food, cleaning up messes, calming a crying or fighting child, dialing my sister's phone number.

But we survived, and after it all, here's what I know:

1. Going to the zoo required far more planning and time to get out the door than I anticipated, and even then, we nearly left without the girls having their shoes on. After that trip, I decided trips outside with the three by myself would be limited.
2. Going to the zoo doesn't require seeing animals besides the orangutuan. Asher doesn't so much care for the zoo yet, so it's too early to think about getting a family pass for us.
3. The girls really like ramen noodles and Charlotte likes rice. They also like broccoli. Had I known that I would have started feeding it to them on Saturday to help them get more veggies in their meals. Picky kids (mine included) are tricky.
4. Frequent calls to mom are a must to help calm nerves. I really was impressed with how the girls did overall. They had their moments of missing their mom and dad, but they weren't that often, and they seemed to have fun most of the time.
5. Asher liked having the extra friends around most of the time--although I could tell that he could see he wasn't getting as much attention as usual. The perks of being the only child. ;)
6. The girls loved singing songs at the piano. I should have done more of that.
7. Chick-fil-a is a great place to get away and even better when you can meet a friend there for visiting.
8. I am not good at doing girls' hair. Heaven help me if we ever have a daughter.
9. Llama Llama Red Pajama read with full dramatization makes Charlotte giggle in the cutest ways.
10. Enoch is a good sport. (But I already new that.)

Thanks for visiting E and C! We hope we haven't scarred you for life and that you will come again!

2 comments:

K-Krew said...

Hooray! You made it. And way to go for making it to the zoo by yourself. I only go with Thom or with friends. I remember watching 2 kids when I only had Lucy and thinking I could never have 3.
At least they come one at a time right?!

Emily N. said...

Well, I wasn't by myself at the zoo either. Enoch came along. I don't think I could have done it without him. And yes, I am so glad they come one at a time!