Sunday, May 23, 2010

This and that

Yesterday somehow turned out to be a whole lot of many things going on. It was a busy, but wonderful day for us to be together as a family.

Enoch started the day by helping a boy and a number of others paint fire hydrants in the neighborhood as part of an eagle scout project.

Then Enoch and I went to the temple while one of my girls from church stayed with Asher. It was a beautiful and busy day there--lots of weddings going on. But because of those weddings we happened to run into John and Cindy Allen along with their daughter Emily and her little boy Asher who is 4 1/2 months old (pretty crazy how the two Emilys decided to name their first borns Asher). John and Cindy moved here to Mesa several years ago, but I have seldom seen them, so this was a treat. I love when the world becomes so small sometimes. :)

Then we took a trip out to Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek for this box of peaches.

They were having their peach festival, and we could pick peaches for $1.75 a pound. We'll tell you haw they are once they ripen. ;) Unfortunately, most of what was on the trees was still not ripe, so it was disappointing, but still an adventure.

Our friend Raquel was with us, and she told us we should also stop by the Queen Creek Olive Mill, so we did. They had lots of interesting kinds of olive oils, and lots of recipes to share, so I picked up on those and will maybe try some here and there. We didn't take the tour, but someday that would be fun. I'd love to learn more about how olives are grown and how the oil is pressed.

We finished our day with a stop by Ethan's Big Phat Going Away Party. I wrote about Ethan in my Easter post. He continues to hang in there and make the most of his situation. I got to see him and give him a hug. He is so thin and frail, but what a huge spirit and determination. Hundreds of people were there to honor him. He wanted this party as a way to help him say good-bye, and I was glad that he would let so many people reach out to him at once. I hope and pray that his final days will be happy ones. I am grateful to have known him and grateful that he has influenced me in such wonderful ways. They had t-shirts printed for the party that said, "Go Big or Go Home" and Ethan has definitely lived up to that mantra. Go big or go home, my friend.

By that point we were pooped, so home we came for a bath for Asher and a quiet evening for Enoch and me. What a good Saturday. :)

1 comment:

Kelly and Steve said...

Awesome dessert recipe in the "Parade" magazine today for grilled peach cobbler. Yum!

I found Ethan's story very touching in many ways. Strengthening, sad and faith building all in one. Thank you for sharing it.