Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gila Valley Temple Open House



On Saturday I had the opportunity to travel with the youth from our ward out to Thatcher/Safford for the new temple open house that is being held out there for the next few weeks. It was a lovely day, albeit a bit on the windy side. I felt like I was back in Great Falls or sitting outside the Cardston Temple at that point.

But this temple was not like Cardston--much smaller but quite beautiful. The church has a rather long history in the area. Brigham Young sent some settlers that direction, and that was where they landed. it is in a beautiful valley nestled amongst the southern end of the White Mountains. There were mountains in the distance that had snow on the mountain tops, but lots of farmland surrounded us in the immediate vicinity.

It was about a two hour drive from here, and we chartered a bus to take our group of about 40 people. I was glad to have these four cute girls along for the ride especially--Madison, Madi, Alexis, and Alison. They were so fun, and for many of them, it was the first time to actually go inside a temple.


It was a temple on the smaller side, and I couldn't take pictures on the inside, so some exterior shots will have to do. The tour took about 20 minutes and we got to see a couple of instruction rooms, the baptistry, the celestial room, and the bride's room.

I am grateful to go the temple, and even more grateful to have one so close by here in Mesa. I love the places of peace and learning that they are for me. I love that I have had many opportunities to feel the power and love of my Savior within the walls of a temple. I hope the girls I work with at church will one day feel that too.

I had taught a lesson about temple marriage to them the Sunday before we went. I was so grateful to share with them how much my temple marriage means to me and how grateful I am to know that I am connected forever to Enoch, Asher, and any other children who may one day come to our family. How blessed we are!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Good luck with new job...I think working is still do-able with one kid, it was with 2 when it became harder for me and now I wouldn't even consider it!!! And UOP.. so awesome! i love online courses!!

Are you in jim & chrissy hamberlin's ward? I think i saw a photo of you on FB together. I used to work for Jim before I had Gage. Love him!!!!
Sorry about my typing-- baby in arms!!!