Sunday, February 22, 2009

52 Saturdays #7: The Scottish Highland Games


Yesterday morning, Enoch and I headed to central Phoenix for the Arizona Scottish Highland Games. I was intrigued by the event after a friend invited me via Facebook. I am half Scottish after all. Once we got there, there was much festivity and more than a few kilted men roaming around. There were plenty of vendors hawking all sorts of wares from kilts to jewelry to bagpipes to British food.

Then we witnessed a bit of a bagpipe parade. There were several bands from around the area who came in full garb to march through the park to the opening ceremonies.

There was also a section devoted to the various clans of Scotland where one could research their lineage if they'd like.

And then there were the games themselves. They had several contestants competing in some sort of shot put event as well as log flipping and a couple of other things. They were quite fascinating to watch.

We got our fill and enjoyed the day that was a bit on the warmer side. I even got a little sunburn in some places where there wasn't sunscreen. I must have the fair skin of the Scots, I tell you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really fun, Em. The bagpipes always make me cry!

K-Krew said...

sounds like fun. so did Enoch wear a kilt ;)?