I know it's Halloween, but that fun will be recorded tomorrow. ;)
But for today, I came across this thought from Henry David Thoreau yesterday that I really liked and that led me to pondering:
"How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. The book exists for us perchance which will explain our miracles and reveal new ones."
I have some very strong associations between times in my life and books. Nancy Drew and my second and third grade years. Anne of Gables during a period of years. My Name Is Asher Lev when I was 18. The Book of Mormon when I was 19. And others...
Are there books that explained miracles for you? Do you remember books that defined certain periods of your life?
3 comments:
Jane Eyre has been a pretty influential book for me, when I was a freshman in HS. My grandma sent it to me for Christmas, telling me it was one of her favorites, and it quickly became mine too. Nancy Drew and the Boxcar Children were also favorites and at times my only friends in Elementary School.
I will have to think about this question more before answering, but I do have a book question for you - Have you ever heard of a guy named Lee Polevoi? Apparently, he won a Breadloaf scholarship - I think this year. Anyway, I just got an email from a publicist asking if I wanted to read the guy's book. Just curious if you knew anything about him.
Hmmm . . . all the Tom Clancy novels during my high school summers - I read them while floating on a tube in the pool so that I would feel more like I was at sea!
Post a Comment