Monday, October 20, 2008

A Surprise Party

No lie. My sixth hour class decided to celebrate my birthday today because a few of them who know about and check blog found out that I had had a birthday a week or so ago, and they wanted to celebrate too.

So completely unbeknowst to me, they planned a celebration complete with cake made by G and J, chips and salsa provided by G, a QT drink of diet Dr. Pepper with a splash of vanilla provided by G and C, and R who brought the rice krispie treats. Oh, and MJ who brought the paper goods. They all walked in at the bell yelling happy birthday, and I immediately started laughing when I saw that they had brought so many of my favorite things. The cake they made was even purple and in the shape of an iPod in honor of my Enoch's gift. Genius!

This is my class with only six students because they are receiving gifted services as gifted students. They are truly my gift from the powers that be this year. They are an absolute delight. And I get paid to teach them—when really, this is a group I would teach for free they're so great.

You'll notice in the picture that they are all making triangles with their hands. This is because I have told them how much I love the rhetorical triangle. The triangle seems like a better sign of love than a heart, no?? ;)

Thanks, my sixth hour gems. You represent all the reasons why I love to teach.


PS Please remind me of this on those days when I may be wondering why I teach. Fortunately, those days don't happen often, but when they do, a few rays of hope and a good reminder are much needed.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Ahhh ... that's so sweet! Even though you just turned the big 3-2, you don't like a day older than your students. Seriously. You're so youthful :)

Anonymous said...

R brought salsa! :D

Anonymous said...

J would like to add that he provided transportation in the most stolen car in America :D

Lott said...

Very thoughtful! Most students wouldn't even think to do something so kind. They deserve 5 extra credit points each (although it sounds like they don't need them).

Maria Olson said...

Emily, You are so cute. I bet you make the best teacher. Happy birthday!