So I alluded in a recent post to some upcoming excitement, and now after sharing with my family the news, I felt that it was time to share my story with the world at large.
Enoch and I are getting married! :)
Last Sunday after returning home from my sister's wedding in Utah, Enoch and I were at his house. He had gone upstairs to change clothes. I was looking through his mail because I am nosy and curious, and I was bored. I found two letters from the Mesa AZ Temple--one of them addressed to him and one addressed to me.
When he came downstairs I excitedly told him we had gotten the letters confirming the date and time of our temple sealing, and I was excited to open them. He kind of got this weird and uncomfortable look on his face, and didn't seem all that anxious to open them. I started walking into his kitchen, and he followed me. I continued talking of my excitement, but noticed his discomfort. At that point, he had the temple letters in his hand. I turned to him, and he said in a really serious tone of voice, "Emily, we have to talk..."
I instantly froze thinking that he was really upset and mad at me. That perhaps I had gone over the top and he was ready to say there was no way we could ever get married. I then started backing up both physically and verbally because I was thinking I had crossed a serious line. In my effort to backpedal, I told him, "I don't need to open the letter. We don't need to talk about any wedding stuff for weeks. We don't need to talk about anything wedding until we get the ring..."
Then he cut in and said, "It's just that I feel like we are making all these plans and talking in, around, and about all these things, and I haven't even asked. We keep talking around it, but I just need to do it. Will you marry me?"
I was a bit taken aback, but once I absorbed it, I emphatically said. "Yes. My goodness yes!" And we kissed...
Then I said, "I feel so bad. I know this was not the way you wanted to do this. You wanted a big surprise romantic moment, and I didn't let you have it because I am a planner and I have to have some idea of what's going on. And you don't have the ring yet. You don't have all the proper equipment."
He said something to the effect that this wasn't how he wanted to do it, but he needed to. He actually had wanted to ask me the night before when we were gazing at the stars while lying on his sister's trampoline in Alpine, UT, but the moment was ruined when his brothers came walking through the gate.
So there you have it. The most thrilling moment of my life thus far, and it happened in the middle of Enoch's kitchen without a ring, without flowers, without fancy dinner, but still so incredibly romantic and spontaneous. And so us... ;)
So the date is Dec. 28 here in Mesa. We'd love to have you join us, but if you can't make it, you'll be there in spirit!
When I do get the ring, I'll write about that too, but until then, I will find other gems to share. (seriously, no pun intended...)
8 comments:
Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you both! Love, Jamie
I am so happy for you, Emily & Enoch!!!!!! :) :~) :o)
Emily, what is Enoch's last name???
Norton is his last name.
Thanks. Now I can begin to think of you as Emily Norton. :)
Okay, so it's weird for me to see it typed. You're the first person to do that!
HUZZAH!!!!!
Good Work. I'm so happy for you! I'm mostly exciting that your marying a guy named Enoch. And your name is going to sound wicked distinguished. Emily Norton! By the way, I'm still going to call you Wilkie! ANYWAY!
I am super excited for you!
Let me tell you, I will totally be there! Hahahaha, congrats once again! Goooooo Ms. Wilkinson!
~ The boy who hates angry colors
Post a Comment