Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Asher lately
This guy is a pretty smiley, amenable soul most of the time. He enjoys his one day a week preschool class where he has really come out of his shell the last few months. At one point in September his teacher asked me if he was talking well at home because he didn't talk at her place. I assured her he did and tried not to get too worried about it. (It's definitely different being on the parent rather than the teacher end. I'm learning how to be the parent and sometimes wish I had been able to have better sympathy and empathy when I was teaching in the classroom.) But he is talking up a storm now both at preschool and at home, and I love to hear his little ideas and plays of make believe.
He also has finally started to sing songs. I say "sing" very liberally. I am beginning to wonder if the kid could be tone deaf because he doesn't really carry a tune. He sort of talk sings. But he knows the words to a number of songs and even sings along to the radio in the car sometimes. I suppress my giggles when he does that because it is just so cute, and I don't want him to stop because of self-consciousness. He'll all of a sudden bust out on a song when I least expecting it. It's awesome.
He loves reading, and we read library books over and over again until we pick up a new batch the next time. He also has a newfound love of puzzles, and he is good and he is fast at them. He has a set of 4 Thomas the Train puzzles that he loves to do over and over again. He can do each puzzle in less than 10 minutes without seeing a picture. Maybe he's a visual spacial type learner for sure. I probably should look at getting him some more just to add to the variety. It's fun to watch his little brain go.
It's also fun to watch his reactions to things as he experiences them for the first time and likes them. I took him to Krispy Kreme doughnuts the other day, and when he saw those display cases of doughnuts, he got wide eyed, excited, and let out this crazy little laugh. It was pretty awesome. We had a coupon for a free doughnut, and you better believe he slicked that right up.
He loves wrestling with his dad, playing marbles, racing cars, playing with his friends, playing at the park, just getting to be a kid. When Enoch plays races with him, he tries to teach him about winning and losing--including being a gracious loser. He has taught him to say congratulations when someone else wins. When Asher wins, Enoch is trying to teach him to be gracious in winning as well. When Enoch tells him congratulations, he makes sure that Asher responds with a thank you. It's pretty sweet.
I am really loving this stage of his life, and it's becoming all to real to me that he will head off to kindergarten before I know it. It makes me a little sad, but not sad enough to home school. No way. I have recently made the preschool decision for next year (around here they do registrations super early), and I am excited for his learning and growth there. He'll be doing an afternoon 3 days a week in someone's home, and her system seems really well done. Many of my friends have highly recommended the teacher. (It's a different one than his current because she is farther than I want to drive three days a week.) I feel blessed to be this little boy's mama and to watch as pieces fall into place as I make efforts to be a good mom. I need to work at being better, but I am blessed nonetheless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment