Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happy Birthday, Beverly Cleary!






The other day, my friend Susan posted this link on Facebook. Beverly Cleary--turning 95! In my mind, that woman will be ageless always just like her stories.

Cleary was one of those seminal authors for me. Between 1st and 3rd grades, I couldn't get enough of her books. And I loved Ramona. I wanted to be her. She made me laugh. She amazed me with her ways of getting into mischief.

Cleary helped me get hooked on reading and to find the joy of reading for longer periods of time. I love that she can still do that 30 years later. Just the other day when my two nieces were here for dinner, they brought along a copy of Beezus and Ramona--which incidentally got left at my house. The 3 year old was the one holding on to it. I didn't ask if Jill was reading it to her, but I am assuming so.

Read the profile from the New York Times. It's short, sweet, and revealing about a woman who was quite remarkable in her vision of children's literature for her time. She wanted her books to be fun and interesting and patterned many of her stories after things her own children did. That idea doesn't seem so revolutionary now, but that's because she was the trendsetter to help it become more common place. Makes me admire her all the more.

So to you, Ms. Cleary, happy birthday! May there be many more. Of course, you will always live in the imaginations of young children and adults alike who enjoy your books. What a gift you have given to all of us!

1 comment:

Amber M. said...

Anna has read almost all the Ramona books...treasures from my childhood. How fun to now share them with my daughter!