Sunday, February 3, 2008

A new challenge of sorts...

I've served in the Relief Society. I've served in the primary. And I certainly have spent my fair share of time in music callings at church. But now there is a new thing for me to mull over and try my abilities with--young women. I've accepted the assignment to be an assistant adviser to the 14 and 15 year old girls in my ward. There are about 12 of them, and there are two other leaders who also help with the teaching and activities.

I know. I know. I work with teenagers every day. But this is definitely a new challenge. To help them discover who they are, to empower them with a sense of the Savior's love and care. To empower and increase my own capacity to love and care. They certainly have a lot of energy and things to say--that was readily apparent after attending class with them for the first time today.

I'm hoping Enoch ends up with a calling sometime soon. He certainly has a lot of talent to share!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute picture, Emily! The YW will love you! (and you'll have a lot of fun, too.)
Holly

Jill said...

ha ha! Did you inwardly groan? That is so funny we just talked about that.

Amber M. said...

I love your new picture!! The YW are lucky to have you. (Give Sarah a squeeze for me next time you see her, will ya??)

Garrett Gang said...

I love your 'out with friends' picture! You two are so cute!!

YW will be so great. You grow to love those girls and it's the hardest calling to leave because they are at such a pivotal time in their lives. You have so much to offer them. I'm excited for you!

Emily N. said...

Wow! So many comments! :)

Yes, Jill I inwardly groaned a bit, and thought, "ah...the irony..." Here's to all the upcoming Wednesday night activities!

They do seem like a lively and lovely group of young women with personalities that are all over the board. What an adventure!

Nilda Noel said...

I love the young women and am so happy to be back there after leaving Montana. You will do awesome! You are fun and a very good example and they will see that. Have fun with it!!