Wednesday, March 11, 2015

San Diego Trip!


We had been talking about taking our kids to San Diego for the last year. There is so much fun stuff to do there, and it is only a six hour drive away. We also had David and Ayami along with their two kids to make it even more of an adventure. As a bonus, just a few weeks before we planned on going, I found out that Sea World is running a promotion this year where CA and AZ teachers can get a free pass for the entire year. I could also get three free tickets for my family, making our day at Sea World totally free! Awesome. I can go back for free the rest of the year too, but I probably won't because of time. But cool that they would do, and thank goodness I have kept my teaching certificate current. ;)

So we drive as far as Yuma on the first night and stayed with Enoch's sister there. Then we headed out the next morning early to drive to Carlsbad to spend the day at Legoland. It was fun for the kids, but not the quality or caliber of Disneyland. I would also say that by the time the kids reach the age of 10, they will have outgrown Legoland. But for now it was great. The kids loved the driving cars the best. I liked that I could do a roller coaster and I really liked the Lego miniland with all things built of Legos.

We got a hotel in San Diego near Sea World to stay in on the two nights we were in the area. It had a great free breakfast and was super close to Sea World. They also had a heated pool and hot tub that we enjoyed one night. Asher experienced his first hot tub and loved it!

Then it was Sea World day on Monday! We went to the pet animal show, the dolphin show, and the Shamu show. We were never in the splash zones, and that was okay. I am amazed by what they do with the animals there. I realize there is a lot of controversy surrounding Sea World these days, but I like to think they do a lot for animal rescue and for public awareness. I hope they treat all of their animals with care and respect. That's as political as I will get.

They also had some fun rides including a Manta roller coaster that I really liked. My kids loved the Sesame Street kids rides and play area. It was a good day!

We also enjoyed the beach the morning before we left. It was windy and the water was cold, but my kids got to see the ocean for the first time. Asher loved the waves, and Julia loved playing in the sand.  Good times!

While in Yuma, we ate at a favorite--the Chile Pepper.

Heading into Legoland.


Can you see Casey and Asher?

The kids could have driven these cars all day.


They had an awesome Star Wars exhibit--everything constructed of Legos!

Important Washington, DC, sites in Legos!


Argh! A random sea captain.

Legos of all sizes, all over the place.

Casey and Asher constructing.


The penguin exhibit at Sea World.

The family waiting for the pet show to start.



Their favorite ride by far....

Ooops--Julia falls through the fence.

The Shamu show.

Can you spot the killer whale?


Elmo's flying fish ride in Sesame Street place.

Enjoying Mission Beach.




a sea turtle carved in the sand.

It was a great trip, and to think there is so much more to do in San Diego. We will be going back!

No comments: