Friday, August 10, 2012

Utah/Montana Family Vacation 2012

 This trip was a long time in the making and planning. Last year Enoch mentioned that he wanted to go to my family cabin in Montana and that we should try to get there this summer. I was totally up for that! I haven't been to the cabin since 2006, and it really is a beautiful and peaceful place. It's nice and rustic, and filled with family and memories. There was a time when we wondered how we were going to do it when Enoch's brother announced his engagement and then set the wedding for this summer sometime. In the end, he picked a date that worked perfectly for our plans. Unfortunately for him, the wedding didn't happen, but our trip still did. :)

First we stopped off at Jared and Elizabeth's in Santaquin. These two know how to make some homemade fun for the kids. We rode around in an official parade vehicle of the the Salt Lake County fire in mini style. Asher loved it! It's an electric vehicle that goes at about 15 mph, so perfect for riding around the neighborhood.

Then it was fun with water and a huge inflatable slide. Once again, total fun for Asher.

 Julia enjoyed meeting her cousin Lauryn who is a mere two days younger. They couldn't play much together, but someday they will.
 Jared's family has a great backyard swingset and other fun toys. Asher loved playing with this backhoe implement and trying to manipulate it just like the big guys. The girls just hung out in the swings and gravel.
 Then there was the cotton candy stand. I'm telling you, the fun never ended! Well, the fun did end with the Nortons when we headed up north for a night with my aunt in Roy before heading to the cabin. It was so good to catch up with Jennine on all the family happenings and to make our preparations for the next week. Enoch and I did our first ever trip to Winco for some groceries. I am pretty excited that there will be one opening a mile from my house sometime in the next couple of months. I just hope it doesn't get too mobbed by snowbirds.
We spent 5 days at the cabin. It was much as I had remembered and little had changed. One day we drove into Yellowstone with the kids to see Old Faithful. My cousin Steven and his family came too. The family cabin is definitely an extended family affair. David and Lynn were there with a couple of kids and their families; Steve's family along with my Uncle Ron, and Jennine and her daughter Amanda came, so we had plenty of company.

After much dirtiness and play, Asher needed a bath in the #3 tub. He didn't like it and would have rather stayed dirty, but he needed one bath at least to get us through. I would say Asher's favorite activity of our time there, was playing in the sand on the beach at the lake. "Lifejacket" definitely was added to his vocabulary during this week.
Julia had a good time too. She played and ate and stayed her cute little self.
And to prove that I was there, here is a lovely shot of me eating breakfast on the last day.
Asher liked breakfast too.


So many gorgeous views of the cabin. I hope it's not long until we return!
Julia mugging it up before we left. She was a trooper on this trip. The kids were better in the car than I had hoped. It was lots of hours and lots of miles, but they made do. From the cabin, we stayed in Roy another day to visit my sister Kim and her family. We had Burger Bar, played outside (it was glorious to be outside so much during this trip. We are at the point when I am tired of the heat in AZ and there is still two more months of it. Ugh.) We also went to the Roy Days parade. There is so much candy to be had in that one. Asher didn't so much care, but I got him some, so he wouldn't be left out.
Then on to Terry and Lynette's house in American Fork. Cousins Madison and Kelsey loved having Julia around, and she loved them.
We had a big family dinner with all of the Utah Nortons and celebrated cousin Spencer's birthday. Here he is frosting his own cupcakes.
Asher and cousin Brynn are looking for pirates in Terry's backyard. They were pretty cute.
Julia loved the swing.
So did all the kids, and Uncle Terry was kind enough to be the pusher.
On our final leg home, we stayed overnight at my Uncle Stan's in St. George. I hadn't seen him in 6 years either, so it was good to catch up. The kids were pretty tired by now, so we had some blissful hours of sleep in the car. What a trip! I'm grateful for the memories we made and the fun we could have with family. I wish we could have seen my sister Megan too, but she was in DC at the time rather than at her apartment in Salt Lake, but hopefully next time our paths with cross.

No comments: