Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Update on my dad

I am aware that I have a number of blog readers who may only learn about my dad through this venue, so I will post periodic updates as they seem relevant.

After meeting with an oncologist and having a full body bone scan, my dad has been placed on a hormone therapy where he has a shot every three months that releases hormone blockers into his body to block the testosterone which feeds the cancer. He also takes a pill every day to help with that process. When he goes to get his shot, they will also look at how well the treatment seems to be working.

This same kind of hormone treatment was done with my mom at the beginning of her cancer treatment, so I remember this kind of thing well. Of course, her treatment was blocking estrogen.

The doctor emphasized to my dad that treatment is meant to control the cancer and to keep him comfortable and not to cure it because of how advanced it is. The bone scan also revealed that there are tumors in the bones of his legs as well as in his pelvic bone. The doctor is optimistic that the hormone treatment will work well to shrink tumors and slow any advancement.  I know that his bit of relatively good news and optimism amidst a wave of very difficult news lifted my dad's spirits a lot. He sounded so much better when I talked to him on the phone on Saturday and he told me the results of the bone scan.I was glad for him to have something better to think about.

Cancer is a disease of waiting and hoping. There won't be much to talk about most of the time. We just wait and see how he responds to treatment and for how long. Once the hormone therapy quits working, they will move to another course of treatment. There is no telling how long anything will work. That's cancer for you. Every case is different. Every person is different.

I appreciate the concern and care so many of you have shown. I am blessed to have truly wonderful friends. :)

No comments: