I hope I don't jinx things by writing this post, but I think we might be on the verge of Asher talking more. At least I hope we are. This is a subject I haven't talked much about because when your kid isn't talking, what is there to say? I've hoped, I've read, I"ve talked with my pediatrician, and all sources at this point have admonished patience. Give him time and he will likely talk. But it's hard to see so many other kids born right around the time he was who are talking in sentences, and he up until a couple of weeks ago wasn't even saying the word "mommy." It's also hard when I am such a lover of language, and he has seemed not to be interested in the least.
But he is saying mommy now, and a few more that he has added just in the last couple of weeks after pretty much only using the word "no" for two months. Let's see. Now we have stop, go, mommy, dad, no, egg. I heard egg for the first time when he was standing by our sink on his stool. There was an egg shell sitting in there. He pointed to it, and plain as day said, "egg." It has been no doubt to me for months that he understands a lot of what is said. He loves books, and can point at things we ask him all the time. But saying the words? That is apparently not cool enough for him.
But maybe, just maybe, that is changing. I've always had 2 1/2 as this point at which I would refer him for speech evaluation, and that will continue to be the date in my mind. That's a little less than two months away. Hopefully, by then, there will be no need. But I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch--even if the kid does like eggs. ;)
2 comments:
I'm glad he's making progress, Em. He'll probably be talking like crazy in no time!
Hang in there. Thinking of you all. Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment