Sunday, August 21, 2011

Counting my blessings.

I've been thinking a lot about the hymn, "Count Your Many Blessings" over the last few days. I had to giggle when we sang it in church today. It's been a strange week around here with things breaking and creating unexpected larger expenses. But I do feel blessed and am trying to look past the hard things to find the good.

First of all, we're blessed that we save money and live within our means making weeks like this less difficult to deal with. Things like the burner unit on our water heater going out are not going to put us in the hole or mean we won't be able to eat for a week. But we can still grumble about how much plumbers cost. In fact, after dealing with a plumber the other night and watching what he did, Enoch decided he could get the part we need and install it himself. Hopefully that's true.;)

It is definitely a blessing that Enoch is such a handy guy. Our computer hard drive went out this week, and he's is working on getting everything restored. It's taking time because he can't devote massive time to it with working and having two young kids, but we'll be back up and running at full capacity one of these days.And most of my files should be safe. I'm also grateful to know that I have done some backups, so not all would be lost anyway.

I'm grateful not to be teaching right now, though. With the computer at limited capacity, having to be as available as I would like would be difficult and stressful. I would manage, but it's nice to know that it's not pressing on me. For those who may be wondering, I'll start teaching again on Sept. 26, making Julia nearly 3 months old. Hopefully I can figure out a schedule that will keep all of us healthy and sane. :)

In the end, I am grateful that things are things, but the most important things aren't really things. Things break and are imperfect. But my family is well, and the "things" that are most important are healthy and strong.

1 comment:

AN said...

I learned that things are things and are not that much important when my parents' house got burned out. I was grateful that everyone was okay although we lost everything on that day. My daily blessing is that we all come home safe and meet again at home. This is the best blessing I can have for my family as well as the good health.

Not knowing how to fix cars or repair things around the house can rip you off in America. I learned this in a hard way, especially being a women. Sad, but people do take advantage of others.

Savings? Yes! Money? Unfortunatelly we have to have this and is important to live in this life, isn't it?