The website familysearch.org was hosting a #meetmygrandma Sunday today, and I thought I would contribute a memory. I have so many great memories of her. My grandma was a woman of faith, and I was never more aware of this than in a couple of experiences when I witnessed her in personal and family prayer.
I have a distinct memory of being at our family cabin at Hebgan Lake. I had already gone to bed in the back bedroom of the main cabin which slept four people. I don't remember why she and I were both sleeping in that room, but we were. I was in bed, but not asleep when my grandmother quietly came in, knelt by the side of the bed and began to pray. I couldn't make out the words because she was whispering, but she was definitely in prayer and making it audible to Heavenly Father despite not being alone. It was a powerful moment and testimony to me of my grandmother's faith and devotion. She no doubt prayed each day in her personal time and believed in answers to prayers after 80 years of life. It is no wonder to me that my mother made sure to teach each of us to pray as we were little. This is likely something she learned from her own mother.
The other distinct and powerful prayer memory I have of my grandmother was at my mother's death. My mother had been in a coma for a couple of days, and we were anticipating her to pass away at any time. Her mother (my grandmother) was alive and there with us--very much broken hearted to see one of her own children pass away before her. It had a been a long day of waiting for my mother to take her final breath. I know I was ready to see her suffering and pain come to an end after battling cancer for 4 years.
Finally that evening, my grandmother suggested that we pray as a family around her bedside and request that she be taken home. All of us children were there along with my grandma and one of my mom's sisters. My dad offered a sweet prayer expressing our love and desires for her and seeking the powers of heaven to help her in passing through the veil. Within one or two minutes of my dad finishing that prayer, she took her last breath and was gone. After waiting so many hours that day for the event to happen, my grandmother's wisdom and faith helped provide the suitable exit for my mother.
I'm grateful to have had time in the temple with my grandma, to have seen her legacy of faith and family for 26 years of my life. Her memory builds and strengthens my faith even all of these years later.

2 comments:
thanks for sharing!
Wow, Em, what a beautiful and inspiring post! Thanks for sharing these tender memories. It sounds as if your grandmother was a wonderful person who always practiced what she preached.
Post a Comment